Simmba- Masala Entertainment
Duration: 159 Min.
Director: Rohit Shetty (Earlier Films – Zameen (2003), All the Best (2009), Golmaal (2010), Singham (2011), Bol Bachchan, (2015) & Golmaal Again (2017).
Producer: Karan Johar, Haroo Yash Johar, Rohit Shetty & Aporva Mehta
Music Director: Tanishk Bagchi, Lijo George – DJ Chetas
Star Cast: Ranveer Singh (Earlier Films: Band Baaja Baarat (2010), Ladies vs Ricky Bahl (2011), Lootera (2013), Goliyon ki Raasleela Ram Leela (2013), Gunday (2014), Dil Dhadakne Do (2015), Bajirao Mastani (2015), Befikre (2016) & Padmaavati (2018) and Sara Ali Khan
Inspired from a Telugu film -Tamper (2014) starring Jr. N.T. Ramarao & Kajal Agarwal.
1. Ranveer Singh delivered a fantastically energetic performance and is a delight to watch. He excelled in all romantic, comedic and action scenes.
2. Director Rohit Shetty lived upto his expectations and delivered yet another entertaining film, but only for masses, not for a class.
3. Story- (Vakkantham Vamsi), Screenplay- (Yunus Sajawal- Sajid), dialogues (Farhad) are just perfect to keep the audience engrossed in the first half where after film stoops down.
4. Music: Remix version of ‘Aank Mare’ is already a chart buster & very well picturelized.
5. Cinematography (Jomon T. Johny) is of top standard.
6. In fact, Singham’s Ajay Devagan is the one who saves Simmba’s Ranveer Singh in the second half, makes Ajay the hero.
7. Surprising entry of Akshay Kumar as boss of Ajay Devgan in the climax as ATS Chief Sooyavanshi coming in 2019 is totally thrilling !
8. Background scores are effective but is almost borrowed by Rohit from his earlier films (Singham)
9. Amongst the huge assembled starcast, Ashutosh Rana definitely stands out.
10. First half is full of action, comedy, drama accompanied by the foot tapping and mind blowing song “Aankh mare”
1. Sara Ali Khan has been wasted. She hardly has 2-3 scenes and is barely visible in the second half.
2. Editing (Bunty Nagi) could have been sharper post interval.
3. Director Rohit shetty could not execute second half well, as compared to the first half. In fact, film drags. He concentrated more on action scenes (which were too long and repeated), rather than on the story.
4. Court room drama is the weakest link in the film. There is hardly any thrill/ excitement in the proceedings.
5. Problem lies in the second half which hardly offers any novelty or entertainment.
6. Emotionally too, viewers are hardly hooked on.
7. In 2nd half, film moves from being entertaining to preachy course on safety of women. Subject of rape is very immaturely handled.
8. There are too many characters which hardly made any impact in the film.
Paisa Vasool film for single screen audiences however, after the initial run, is likely to drop in multiplexes.
But Rohit Shetty’s brand and mass popularity of Ranveer Singh’s work ensure good run of the film till 10/1/19. Due to vacation period, film has got good opening.